Utah's Political Party Classifications
Prior to the passage of SB54 (2014), each political party was classified as a registered political party. Under SB54, each political party is still considered a registered political party, but each political party also has the option to become a qualified political party.
Therefore, there are two classifications of political parties:
1) Registered political party (RPP)
2) Qualified political party (QPP)
Under SB54 (2014), these two political party classifications have different legal requirements and processes to nominate candidates for the primary election. Please refer to page 3 of our FAQs to view a flowchart that depicts these new processes.
Current Political Parties in Utah
- Utah Constitution Party -- (QPP) Liaison: Bryce Hamilton
- Utah Democratic Party-- (QPP) Liaison: Cristóbal Villegas
- Utah Libertarian Party-- (QPP) Liaison: Joseph Buchman
- Utah Republican Party--(QPP) Liaison: Rob Anderson
- Independent American Party -- (QPP) Liaison: Jason Christensen
- United Utah Party (QPP) -- Liaison: Richard Davis